Student Legal Services wants parents to know the legal issues facing students and how we can help. If your student is in trouble, you need lawyers you can trust, who have experience representing Ohio State students.
Healthcare Power of Attorney
Do you have the legal documents in place to help your student? Your student is now an adult. But, they may still need you. SLS will draft the documents your student needs in the event of an emergency, including a healthcare power of attorney.
How does it work?
- Your student will schedule a phone appointment with a SLS attorney (note: incoming Freshmen can schedule in the summer).
- We will email your student with next steps that include (1) requirement to watch a short video before the appointment and (2) complete a form confirming they’ve watched the video.
- A SLS attorney will conduct the phone appointment with your student at the time scheduled.
- Parents may be on the phone as well with the student’s permission.
- During the phone appointment, your student will decide which documents they want and provide necessary information.
- After the appointment, SLS staff will draft the documents and email them to your student to review.
- Once your student approves the documents, SLS will schedule a time for your student to come to our office to sign the documents.
- Parents do not need to be present for the signing.
Documents Students Need
Criminal Defense for Ohio State students
Student Legal Services lawyers are in court every day defending students and expunging criminal records. We advise regarding the Student Conduct process as well as how criminal charges can affect future employment. We know the system, we know students. View the video below to learn more.
Moving off-campus is a rite of passage for most Ohio State students. While it is fun and exciting, students are taking on a lot of responsibility, especially financially. We want students and their families to understand their rights and responsibilities to make the most informed decisions possible. Student Legal Services and Ohio State’s Off-Campus and Commuter Student Engagement teamed up for Smooth Move, a presentation to friends and family regarding your student's transition to off-campus housing. Learn more about the search for housing, and valuable information about moving and living off-campus, including safety resources.
Learn from the Experts